"We are very pleased that Judge Kollar-Kotelly confirmed her prior ruling and that transgender people who can meet the same qualifications as others will be eligible to enlist", Minter said.
In June of 2016, the Department of Defense told transgender members of the armed forces it was safe to come out and serve openly and authentically, and estimates show there are thousands of transgender individuals now serving in the military.
"The Court explained that the effect of its Order was to revert to the status quo with regard to accession and retention that existed before the issuance of the Presidential Memorandum", she wrote in her ruling, according to a court order obtained by BuzzFeed News. Yesterday, that court's judge issued a clarification that, since the ban was blocked, the military should begin accepting transgender troops by January 1, 2018.
To clarify on whether Mattis is free to extend the ban on transgender enlistments any further, Kollar-Kotelly writes "any action by any of the defendants that changes this status quo is preliminarily enjoined".
AMPA is an organizational plaintiff in another lawsuit challenging Trump's transgender military ban in court. But opponents of Trump's ban can celebrate another win with Kollar-Kotelly's latest ruling allowing for the enlistment of transgender military servicepeople.
If Clinton had won, we would be at war: Susan Sarandon
I don't think that's likely, though it is possible Putin would have been more aggressive against a Hillary administration because he evidently dislikes her.
Officer-involved shooting at Mall in Arlington, Texas
A suspected shoplifter was shot by a police officer at an Arlington mall after allegedly reaching for a replica handgun. On Friday, he was involved in a vehicle evasion when a police officer attempted to stop him for a traffic violation.
Jose explains what he finds 'hard' about playing Pogba
Pogba missed seven Premier League games with the problem and two of those games ended in defeat for Mourinho's men. Everybody works to have a chance. "It was a battle because Brighton were very good", Mourinho said.
Reversing a decision made under President Barack Obama, Trump claimed in a string of tweets that the military "cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail".
Since Mattis is named defendant in the case, that prohibits him from delaying transgender enlistments any longer than January 1 - the target date in his June 30 memo.
Shannon Minter, legal director for the National Center for Lesbian Rights, said the clarification confirms "transgender people must be permitted to enlist on January 1, 2018, as previously scheduled".
The Trump trans military ban issued via Twitter in July 2017 was always based on flimsy reasoning: The U.S. President consulted no now serving military officials about it and lied about the military not being able to absorb the cost of trans healthcare (even though the military spends five times more money on Viagra). The second injunction was issued Monday to clarify that the Department of Defense can not defer the January 1 deadline for allowing enlistment any further, according to court documents.
Supposedly, he did not consult any now serving military officials about the futures of what a 2016 RAND study says is somewhere between 1,320 and 6,630 transgender service members in active duty and 830 to 4,160 members on reserve.